Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Work within a multidisciplinary team to create and implement design elements into the game while acting as a reference for team members on the project.
- Create and improve game levels and worlds to ensure optimum playability;
- Participate in the creation, documentation and tuning of the level to provide gameplay experiences according to the design and creative vision of the project;
- Share knowledge within the team and mentor more junior level designers;
- Be a reference for the team in relation to level design and find solutions to complex issues that arise;
- Set and share best practices, production pipelines and workflows;
- Understand and apply appropriate difficulty, pacing and flow within levels, and leverage emotional reactions from players through design;
- Work closely with the Technical Design team when developing new features or tools by contributing to the design and testing process with constructive feedback;
- Understand and apply guidelines for creating engaging level layouts within the game to support specific gameplay rules or playstyles;
- Produce planning schedules that prioritise responsibilities with accurate time estimations;
- Understand and apply data analysis as part of the teams design process;
- Plan, estimate and prioritise time frames for completion of tasks and track progress using the designated tracking tools;
- Contribute to the definition of improved quality benchmarks and best practices in the team's level design content in accordance with the project's creative vision;
- Create improved document frameworks or templates for the Level Design team and update any relevant documentation as part of the design process;
- Collaborate with quality control teams as part of the debugging process by sharing relevant information, coordinating issue responsibility and resolving any reported issues;
- Participate in the playtest process by observing and analysing player actions to generate feedback that contributes to the iterative design process;
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and consistency of work for the team;
- Understand Rational Level Design theory, contribute to the creation of RLD guidelines and advocate for the implementation of level design content accordingly;
- Assist the Lead Level Designer with regular reviews of level design content, providing feedback in line with the creative vision and best practices;
- Support the Lead Level Designer in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Strong knowledge of visual scripting interfaces (such as Blueprints, FlowGraph, etc.);
- Understand how to maximise the use of the level design tools and software as part of the production pipeline and workflow;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office suite software (such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio etc.);
- Strong knowledge of 2D and 3D design tools (such as Sketchup, Maya, 3DSMax, Photoshop etc.);
- Strong knowledge of industry standard level editors (such as Unreal, Unity, etc.);
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to clearly express and present ideas whilst inspiring others;
- Solid analytical and innovative problem-solving skills;
- Adaptability and proactivity to make informed decisions autonomously;
- Excellent organisation skills with attention to detail;
- Familiarity with data management software (such as Perforce etc.);
- Strong knowledge of the video game industry and awareness of typical video game development processes is essential;
- Good knowledge of Rational Level Design theory is essential;
- In depth gameplay and game design knowledge;
- 5 year’s minimum experience in Level Design or other relevant experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in Game or level Design or other relevant training;
- Has shipped at least 3 games, preferably on a ‘AAA’ console title.
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Reflections: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-reflections/
Ubisoft offers the same job opportunities to all, without any distinction of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, social status, disability or age. Ubisoft ensures the development of an inclusive work environment which mirrors the diversity of our gamers community.