Ubisoft Leamington has been a member of the Ubisoft family since January 2017 and has collaborated on Tom Clancy’s The Division & The Division 2, Far Cry 5 and Starlink: Battle For Atlas. Currently comprised of a 70-strong team, the studio is a solid and experienced group supported by a mix of veteran developers and promising young talent. Based in Royal Leamington Spa, Ubisoft Leamington is at the heart of a thriving destination for UK game developers.
The Online Technical Director will provide leadership and technical direction for the online aspects of a project, have ultimate responsibility and accountability for the online technical aspects of the project.
- Define the online technological vision for the project and lead the online technical design of a project or new features and tools when current options do not meet project needs;
- Be accountable for the online technical deliverables of the project;
- Demonstrate exemplary leadership and motivation to the entire technical department on online topics;
- Provide mentorship to all individuals on online topics and support the Technical Director in running a cohesive and effective department;
- Act as the point of contact for all online technical matters at director-level discussions for the project;
- Ensure the coherence, efficiency, scalability, modularity and compatibility of the online features developed by the department;
- Promote good software architectural practices such as design patterns, data modelling, data organisation, and correct use of templates;
- Define good programming practices and coding standards, and ensure they are enforced within the engineering team through regular peer code reviews;
- Determine any necessary engine, game and tool enhancements to meet the project’s online needs and ensure the feasibility of these upgrades;
- Direct programming leads in analysing and resolving issues pertaining to the engine, game, tools and/or middleware if needed;
- Communicate the technical constraints of the technology to team members to inform them on production options and related best practices. Focussing on online features;
- Ensure the game’s optimal performance (frames per second, memory consumption, bandwidth, disk IO, etc.), including post-launch. Focussing on online features;
- In keeping with technical constraints, ensure that project teams have the tools required to produce the required content. Focussing on online features;
- Evaluate existing engines and tools to determine their strengths and weaknesses and recommend those that best meet project objectives and expectations. Focussing on online features;
- Anticipate online technological advances, understand the issues brought about by new hardware and propose software systems that support these changes and possibilities;
- Be an advocate and ambassador for technology sharing across projects;
- Assist the Technical Director in representing the department to Ubisoft and the wider game development industry;
- Assist the Technical Director in reviewing the game and development processes to identify potential improvements.
Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to see the strategic and wider picture;
- Good analytical and decision-making skills;
- Ability to resolve complex issues;
- Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic;
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- In-depth knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and the ability to apply them to problems while keeping constraints and performance in mind;
- Outstanding programming skills, with good knowledge of object-oriented development, design patterns, etc.;
- Proven ability to analyze unfamiliar code of significant complexity to understand and extend or improve the functionality of an existing module;
- Extensive knowledge of hardware and leading video game tools, consoles and technologies;
- In-depth knowledge of different software development methods such as Test-Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile etc.;
- In-depth experience in solving typical online issues related to latency, bandwidth usage and synchronization of game objects;
- In-depth knowledge in online topics such as community support, e-commerce, DLC and security;
- Expertise in analysis and debugging, being able to track down complicated issues on object replication, proposing tooling to simplify the debugging of these issues for all engineering team members;
- Expertise on online backend architecture;
- Expertise in cloud architecture: cloud management systems, container systems, services and machine scalability;
- Awareness and familiarity with online cost control.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience;
- 10 years’ experience in coding or other relevant experience;
- Experience working within various game engines is essential;
- Significant involvement in 4 published games, with at least 2 projects at a senior level.
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Leamington: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-leamington/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.