Based in Newcastle upon Tyne, Ubisoft Reflections is a lead studio with a 35-year heritage and known for technical innovation, creating immersive worlds and vehicle & driving technology. The studio has collaborated with creative teams from other Ubisoft studios from around the world to contribute to the creation of some of the industry’s most acclaimed AAA games, the most recent of which include Watch Dogs Legion®, Tom Clancy’s The Division® & The Division 2®, Assassins Creed Syndicate®, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands® as well as ground-breaking in-house projects, such as the award-winning Grow Home® and Grow Up® series.
Be responsible for, advise on and improve the quality of visual effects for the project and ensure that the work is in line with technical and artistic constraints while supporting the Lead Artist on management focused tasks.
- Produce high quality effects through any stage of the production process in respect of the project’s technical and artistic constraints;
- Be a reference for the art team in relation to various artistic elements and find solutions to complex issues that arise;
- Share knowledge and motivate artists within the team;
- Support the Lead to ensure a successful sign off process for own and others work by conducting reviews, critiquing work and providing suitable feedback;
- Efficiently communicate and support messages and decisions from management;
- Actively participate in the implementation of more efficient work methods;
- Build relationships with Artists, Designers, Technical Artists and Programmers to facilitate effective collaboration during the asset production process;
- Plan, estimate and prioritise time frames for the completion of tasks and track progress using the designated tracking tools;
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and ensure consistency of work within the team;
- Optimise work and maintain balance between quality and performance;
- Set and share best practices, production pipelines and workflows within the group;
- Understand the game design documents in regards to the environments, objectives, atmospheres, story and style and use them to create game levels;
- Support the Lead Artist in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- A strong understanding of particle effect-based workflows and shader creation, from creation to optimization.
- Strong problem solving skills to deliver good results under strict technical constraints.
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and/or After Effects for texture creation;
- Strong understanding of node-based shaders and their creation;
- Strong understanding of Physically Based Rendering and Linear workflows;
- Strong understanding of modelling, texture mapping, materials and post processing (colour grading etc.);
- Knowledge of data management software (such as perforce);
- Strong Understanding of workload management software/principles (Jira);
- Excellent knowledge of video games industry and awareness of typical video game development processes.
- Knowledge of relevant 3D software with particular emphasis on fluid simulation and rigid body dynamics tools (e.g. FumeFx, Rayfire, Realflow etc.) is an advantage.
- Good math skills is a bonus.
- 5 years’ minimum experience as a visual effects artist or other relevant experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in visual effects or other relevant training;
- Has shipped at least 1 or more games as a visual effects artist; preferably full project cycles on ‘AAA’ console titles;
- Experience with real-time game engines and production pipelines;
- Experience working within a photo realistic environment.
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Reflections: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-reflections/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.