Based in Newcastle upon Tyne, Ubisoft Reflections is a lead studio with a 35-year heritage and known for technical innovation, creating immersive worlds and vehicle & driving technology. The studio has collaborated with creative teams from other Ubisoft studios from around the world to contribute to the creation of some of the industry’s most acclaimed AAA games, the most recent of which include Watch Dogs Legion, Tom Clancy’s The Division & The Division 2, Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands as well as ground-breaking in-house projects, such as the award-winning Grow Home and Grow Up series.
Be responsible for, advise on and improve the quality of lighting effects for the project and ensure that the work is in line with technical and artistic constraints while supporting the Lead Artist on management focused tasks.
- Produce high quality lighting solutions through any stage of the production process in respect of the project’s technical and artistic constraints;
- Support the Lead to ensure a successful sign off process for own and others work by conducting reviews, critiquing work and providing suitable feedback;
- Set and share best practices, production pipelines and workflows within the group;
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and ensure consistency of work within the team;
- Work closely with the Art Director to achieve the desired lighting and mood required for the game;
- Share knowledge and motivate artists within the team;
- Be a reference for the art team in relation to various artistic elements and find solutions to complex issues that arise;
- Suggest standard artistic references - in video games or in other artistic domains - in order to improve the visual aspect of the game;
- Plan, estimate and prioritise time frames for the completion of tasks and track progress using the designated tracking tools;
- Work with the Level Designers and Environment Artists to establish lighting and enhance gameplay;
- Actively participate in the implementation of more efficient work methods;
- Optimise work and maintain balance between quality and performance;
- Understand the game design documents in regards to the environments, objectives, atmospheres, story and style and use them to create game levels;
- Support the Lead Artist and other senior artists in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong working knowledge of relevant 3D software (e.g. Maya or 3DS Max etc.);
- Knowledge of industry game engines and production pipelines;
- In-depth knowledge of Adobe Photoshop;
- In-depth knowledge of particle driven effects and shader systems;
- Solid knowledge of lighting, atmospheric effects and subsequent systems;
- Strong knowledge of Physically Based Rendering and Linear workflows;
- In-depth knowledge of colour grading and other post process effects;
- Knowledge of data management software (such as Perforce);
- Knowledge of workload management software/principles (e.g. Jira);
- Knowledge of the video game industry and awareness of typical video game development processes.
- 5 years’ minimum experience in shading, texture, special effects, image processing or other relevant experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in visual effects or other relevant training;
- Has shipped at least 1 or more games as a lighting artist; preferably full project cycle on ‘AAA’ console titles;
- Experience working within a photo realistic environment.
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Reflections: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-leamington/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.