Ubisoft Leamington has been a member of the Ubisoft family since January 2017 and has collaborated on Tom Clancy’s The Division & The Division 2, Far Cry 5 and Starlink: Battle For Atlas. Currently comprised of a 70-strong team, the studio is a solid and experienced group supported by a mix of veteran developers and promising young talent. Based in Royal Leamington Spa, Ubisoft Leamington is at the heart of a thriving destination for UK game developers.
Be responsible for, advise on and improve the quality of lighting effects for the project and ensure that the work is in line with technical and artistic constraints while supporting the Lead Artist on management focused tasks.
- Produce high quality lighting solutions through any stage of the production process in respect of the project’s technical and artistic constraints;
- Support the Lead to ensure a successful sign off process for own and others work by conducting reviews, critiquing work and providing suitable feedback;
- Set and share best practices, production pipelines and workflows within the group;
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and ensure consistency of work within the team;
- Work closely with the Art Director to achieve the desired lighting and mood required for the game;
- Share knowledge and motivate artists within the team;
- Be a reference for the art team in relation to various artistic elements and find solutions to complex issues that arise;
- Suggest standard artistic references - in video games or in other artistic domains - in order to improve the visual aspect of the game;
- Plan, estimate and prioritise time frames for the completion of tasks and track progress using the designated tracking tools;
- Work with the Level Designers and Environment Artists to establish lighting and enhance gameplay;
- Actively participate in the implementation of more efficient work methods;
- Optimise work and maintain balance between quality and performance;
- Understand the game design documents in regards to the environments, objectives, atmospheres, story and style and use them to create game levels;
- Support the Lead Artist and other senior artists in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong working knowledge of relevant 3D software (e.g. Maya or 3DS Max etc.);
- Knowledge of industry game engines and production pipelines;
- In-depth knowledge of Adobe Photoshop;
- In-depth knowledge of particle driven effects and shader systems;
- Solid knowledge of lighting, atmospheric effects and subsequent systems;
- Strong knowledge of Physically Based Rendering and Linear workflows;
- In-depth knowledge of colour grading and other post process effects;
- Knowledge of data management software (such as Perforce);
- Knowledge of workload management software/principles (e.g. Jira);
- Knowledge of the video game industry and awareness of typical video game development processes.
- 5 years’ minimum experience in shading, texture, special effects, image processing or other relevant experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in visual effects or other relevant training;
- Has shipped at least 1 or more games as a lighting artist; preferably full project cycle on ‘AAA’ console titles;
- Experience working within a photo realistic environment.
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Reflections: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-leamington/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.