Based in Newcastle upon Tyne, Ubisoft Reflections is a lead studio with a 35-year heritage and known for technical innovation, creating immersive worlds and vehicle & driving technology. The studio has collaborated with creative teams from other Ubisoft studios from around the world to contribute to the creation of some of the industry’s most acclaimed AAA games, the most recent of which include Watch Dogs Legion, Tom Clancy’s The Division & The Division 2, Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands as well as ground-breaking in-house projects, such as the award-winning Grow Home and Grow Up series.
Part of the studio’s Productivity and Infrastructure team, Tools Engineers develop, maintain and support key cross-project tools to enhance the productivity of all game projects within the studio. They work in an agile, proactive and autonomous manner to identify needs and opportunities which deliver value to our pipeline productivity.
- To collaborate as part of an enthusiastic team in developing, enhancing and maintaining tools in support of active projects.
- To be responsible for the development, maintenance, documentation and overall quality (including implementation, performance, stability and usability) of tools, modules and processes provided by the team.
- To manage own workload and time to deliver quality and responsive solutions in collaboration with other team members.
- To innovate and improve the quality of implementation, performance and usability of the tools and project pipeline as a whole.
- To proactively identify opportunities for bringing value through productivity enhancements to our game productions.
- To provide consultation and support to other team members or other teams as required.
- To maintain good lines of communication with users and to proactively seek feedback from them.
- To abide by and contribute to the development of standards, procedures and processes.
- To maintain a level of ongoing personal development.
- 3 years commercial software development experience or ability to demonstrate a strong level of software development skills amassed through other means.
- Eager to work in a small team that wants to continuously improve upon its practices.
- Comfortable with iterative development.
- Willingness to experiment and cut what isn't working.
- Interest in experimenting with and developing working practices.
- Passionate about video games.
- Comfortable with maintaining and improving existing solutions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to write clear code.
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of C# (or multiple other programming languages and feeling comfortable with learning C# in a short time-frame).
- Experienced in using a debugger.
- Working experience of a source control system (e.g. Perforce);
- Understanding of speed and memory considerations, and able to implement basic optimisations;
- Knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and their application;
- Ability to analyse unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand, extend and refactor functionality of an existing module;
- Ability to debug defects of a reasonable complexity, including memory related issues, and multi-threading;
- Knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile, etc.
- Ability to collect, interpret and analyze the technical feasibility of system / feature specifications.
- Ability to keep stakeholders informed of developments.
- Ability to maintain good lines of communication with stakeholders and to proactively seek feedback.
- Ability to maintain a level of ongoing personal development.
- Comfortable with various data formats e.g. JSON, XML, YAML
- Experience working in a multi-site collaboration environment.
- Experience with CI software (e.g. Jenkins, TeamCity, Buildbot).
- Experience with calling REST APIs.
- Experience with, or interested in, using telemetry and analytics to support decision making and validation of outcomes.
- Knowledge of Python, Go, C++.
- WPF or other GUI Framework experience.
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Reflections: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-reflections/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.