Based in Newcastle upon Tyne, Ubisoft Reflections is a lead studio with a 35-year heritage and known for technical innovation, creating immersive worlds and vehicle & driving technology. The studio has collaborated with creative teams from other Ubisoft studios from around the world to contribute to the creation of some of the industry’s most acclaimed AAA games, the most recent of which include Watch Dogs Legion, Tom Clancy’s The Division & The Division 2, Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands as well as ground-breaking in-house projects, such as the award-winning Grow Home and Grow Up series.
The Lead Engine Programmer will be responsible for leading the engineering team within a collaborative multi-discipline environment, defining and tracking the schedule for his team, managing and mentoring individuals within the engineering team, and being an evangelist for the project.
- Mentor, manage and regularly review individuals to build a cohesive and effective team;
- Work with production, engineers, design and art team leads to create task estimates and schedules for the engineering team and track development efforts across the team;
- Determine the technical needs and requirements for the team;
- Liaise with internal and external middleware technology providers, and console manufacturers;
- Balance active code development with the management requirements and responsibilities of a discipline lead;
- Ensure the delivery of practical and timely solutions by the engineering team that meets the game design and technical requirements;
- Ensure code is modular, self-contained, and defensive and observes the technical constraints on the system by leading regular technical design and code reviews;
- Define good programming practices and coding standards, and ensure they are enforced within the engineering team through regular peer code reviews;
- Ensure the creation of technical documentation for the engineering team as well as other disciplines, and assist in the creation of submission materials as required;
- Continually review the game and development processes to identify potential improvements;
- An advocate and ambassador for technology sharing across projects;
- Supporting the Producer in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Passionate about playing and making games, and has a good knowledge of the games industry in general;
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with excellent knowledge of object oriented development;
- Familiarity with common scheduling, task and issue tracking tools – MS Project, Jira, etc;
- Able to create, manage and track schedules for a team of engineers;
- Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and the ability to apply them to problems while keeping constraints and performance in mind;
- Knowledge of most areas of game development (physics, AI, gameplay, rendering, online, tools, UI, audio) with expertise in at least 1 area;
- Proven ability to analyse unfamiliar code of a significant complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module;
- In-depth knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile, etc;
- Proven ability to debug defects of a significant complexity, including memory related issues, multi-threading, and assembly level debugging.
- Experience with commonly used development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce;
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience;
- 6 years of commercial software development experience with significant involvement in 2 published games, with at least 1 project at senior level.
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about Ubisoft Reflections: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-reflections/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.