Based in Newcastle upon Tyne, Ubisoft Reflections is a lead studio with a 35-year heritage and known for technical innovation, creating immersive worlds and vehicle & driving technology. The studio has collaborated with creative teams from other Ubisoft studios from around the world to contribute to the creation of some of the industry’s most acclaimed AAA games, the most recent of which include Watch Dogs Legion, Tom Clancy’s The Division & The Division 2, Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands as well as ground-breaking in-house projects, such as the award-winning Grow Home and Grow Up series.
- Analyse and determine if current UI functionalities in the game meet the project’s requirements
- Integrate user interface systems, menus and GUIs into the game in close collaboration with designers and programmers
- Develop tools and modules within the game engine to support the creation of the user interface
- Optimise user interface module code to run efficiently on game consoles
- Work as a key part of an agile development team, and assist the lead with planning and review of features and mentoring less experienced programmers
- Implement innovative solutions to feature requests, taking into account performance, maintability and appropriate resource usage
- Participate in the definition of coding practices and ensure coding standards are followed with regular code reviews
- Collaborate with stakeholders to gather and analyse technical constraints and establish solutions
- Demonstrate an understanding of load and feature testing , write test code, and develop test frameworks and processes
- Stay up-to-date with state-of-the-art technology and promote its use within the studio
- Integrate large-scale modules or components while minimising the impact on the rest of the programming team
- Contribute to and on occasion lead cross-studio collaboration communications in conjunction with the Lead Programmer
- Establish and maintain contact with their counterparts within the studio, share knowledge and best practices, and put those learnings to use on their projects
- Involved in the optimisation of systems
Skills and Knowledge
- Experience with gameplay, UI concepts, and implementing game menus and HUDs
- Understanding of graphics rendering concepts
- Understanding of UX development principles
- Knowledge of UI frameworks such as Qt or imgui a plus
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with excellent knowledge of object oriented development including design patterns and UML
- Extensive experience working with a large game codebase, and it's modules, middleware and associated pipeline
- Deep understanding of software performance considerations, with ability to design and implement well performance systems/features
- Significant knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and their application
- Proven ability to analyse unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand, extend, refactor and optimise an existing module
- Proven ability to debug defects of a reasonable complexity, including memory related issues, multi-threading, and assembly level debugging
- In-depth knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile etc.
- Understanding of the constraints and technical requirements for console platform development within their area
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to mentor others
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or computer engineering or equivalent experience
- 6 years commercial software development experience with significant involvement in multiple published games in a relevant programming capacity is a major plus
- Experience working with at least one modern console platform is an advantage
- Experience with profiling tools
- Experience working in a multi-site collaboration environment is a plus
Benefits & Relocation
Flexible working, 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown, private healthcare (with option to add immediate family), life insurance & income protection, workplace pension scheme, paid volunteering days, annual fitness & well-being allowance, games, technology & merchandise, subsidised travel and many more...
Relocation assistance is available to anyone currently living 50 miles or more from the studio location. Please contact a member of the talent acquisition team to find out what we have to offer and how we can support with your move here... relocation really doesn't have to be a daunting prospect.
Find out more about
Ubisoft Reflections: https://reflections.ubisoft.com/about/ubisoft-reflections/
Ubisoft Reflections & Ubisoft Leamington is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.