Level Designer (105)
Reflections, a Ubisoft studio is a video games development company based in Newcastle, UK. Collaborating with Ubisoft's international creative teams on projects such as Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon, online open-world RPG "The Division" as well as the adventure platformer "Grow Home". With a host of other top titles to our name such as open-world action adventure 'Watch Dogs', MMO racer "The Crew" and the latest instalment in the world's No.1 dance game franchise 'Just Dance 2015'. Reflections' objective is to combine technical expertise, flair and innovation to create and contribute to successful and memorable games. We are looking for Pioneering, Obsessive Humans to cement its reputation as an industry leading studio within the UK and the world.
Create and implement design elements into the game while working in a collaborative multidiscipline environment.
- Design and implement game levels that meet the style, quality standards and timelines of the project;
- Participate in the creation, documentation and tuning of the level to design gameplay elements according to the design and creative visions;
- Apply a notion of appropriate difficulty, pacing and flow within game levels, and how to leverage emotional reactions from players through the designs;
- Assist in the testing of new features and tools developed by the Technical Level Design team and provides them with relevant critical feedback;
- Understand and apply guidelines for creating original level layouts within the game to support specific gameplay rules or playstyles;
- Contribute to the creation of planning schedules to prioritise and estimate time and responsibilities;
- Track and update the progress of day to day tasks using the designated tracking tools;
- Adhere to quality benchmarks and best practices in level design content in accordance with the project's creative vision; Create and update relevant documentation as part of the design process;
- Work with quality control teams as part of the debugging process by communicating relevant information to work towards resolving reported issues in level designs;
- Understand Rational Level Design theory, contribute to the creation of RLD guidelines and
implement content accordingly;
- Participate in regular reviews of Level Design content with the level design team to generate feedback in line with the creative vision of the project;
- Understand the playtest process, observe and analyse player actions in the game to generate critical feedback;
- Makes informed decisions with support from senior team members in their day-to-day work;
- Communicate vertically and horizontally within the team in a clear and professional manner;
- Support the Lead Level Designer with any other ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Good knowledge of scripting languages (such as python, LUA etc.);
- Understand how to use the Level Design tools and software as part of the production pipeline and workflow;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office suite software (such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio etc.);
- Basic understanding of 2D and 3D design tools (such as Sketchup, Maya, 3DSMax, Photoshop etc.);
- Good knowledge of an editor (such as Unreal etc.);
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to clearly express and present ideas;
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills;
- Solid organisation skills with attention to detail;
- Solid understanding of the consumer needs and market trends.
- Significant working experience in Level Design or other relevant experience;
- Has shipped at least 1 game within Level Design, preferably on a ‘AAA’ console title.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K
Opening date: 4th September 2017
Closing date for applications: 3rd October 2017
Reflections reserves the right to close this advert earlier than the closing date indicated should we feel we have received sufficient applications.