Senior Level Designer (120)
Work within a multidisciplinary team to create and implement design elements into the game while acting as a reference for team members on the project.
- Create and improve game levels and worlds to ensure optimum playability;
- Participate in the creation, documentation and tuning of the level to design gameplay elements according to the design and creative vision of the project;
- Share knowledge within the team and mentor more junior level designers;
- Be a reference for the team in relation to level design and find solutions to complex issues that arise;
- Set and share best practices, production pipelines and workflows;
- Understand and apply appropriate difficulty, pacing and flow within levels, and leverage emotional reactions from players;
- Works closely with the Technical Level Design team when developing new features or tools by contributing to the design, testing and providing feedback;
- Understand and apply guidelines for creating engaging level layouts within the game to support specific gameplay rules or playstyles;
- Produce planning schedules that prioritise responsibilities with accurate time estimations;
- Understand and apply data analysis as part of the teams design process;
- Plan, estimate and prioritise time frames for completion of tasks and track progress using the designated tracking tools;
- Contribute to the definition of improved quality benchmarks and best practices in the team's level design content in accordance with the project's creative vision;
- Create improved document frameworks or templates for the level design team and update any relevant documentation as part of the design process;
- Collaborate with quality control teams as part of the debugging process by sharing relevant information, coordinating issue responsibility and resolving any reported issues;
- Participate in the playtest process by observing and analysing player actions to generate feedback that contributes to the iterative design process;
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and consistency of work for the team;
- Assist the lead level designer with regular reviews of level design content, providing feedback in line with the creative vision and best practices;
- Support the Lead Level Designer in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages (such as python, LUA etc.);
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office suite software (such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio etc.);
- Strong knowledge of the video game industry and awareness of typical video game development processes is essential;
- Analytical and innovative problem solving skills;
- Familiarity with data management software (such as Perforce etc.);
- Strong knowledge of 2D and 3D design tools (such as Sketchup, Maya, 3DSMax, Photoshop etc.);
- Good knowledge of Rational Level Design theory is essential;
- In depth game play and game design knowledge;
- Strong knowledge of level editors.
- Substantial working experience in Level Design or other relevant experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in Game or level Design or other relevant training;
- Has shipped at least 3 games, preferably on a ‘AAA’ console title.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Leamington Spa, U.K
Opening date: 4th September 2017
Closing date for applications: 3rd October 2017
Reflections reserves the right to close this advert earlier than the closing date indicated should we feel we have received sufficient applications.