Lead Level Designer (134)
Reflections, a Ubisoft studio is a video games development company based in Newcastle, UK. Collaborating with Ubisoft's international creative teams on projects such as Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon, online open-world RPG "The Division" as well as the adventure platformer "Grow Home". With a host of other top titles to our name such as open-world action adventure 'Watch Dogs', MMO racer "The Crew" and the latest instalment in the world's No.1 dance game franchise 'Just Dance 2015' Reflections' objective is to combine technical expertise, flair and innovation to create and contribute to successful and memorable games. We are looking for Pioneering, Obsessive Humans to cement its reputation as an industry leading studio within the UK and the world.
Lead, mobilise and develop team of level designers within a collaborative multidiscipline environment; define and track the schedule for the team, manage and mentor team members, and be a key player in the level design of the project.
- Develop performance and expertise within their team while furthering their own knowledge and expertise;
- Prioritise, plan and organise their own work and their teams work in conjunction with the Producer/Associate Producer;
- Be the main contact for a collaborating studio or outsource partner;
- Review and give feedback on level design content to ensure that it conforms with the design vision and the core mechanics of the game;
- Communicate the project objectives, strategies, and general information to level design team members;
- Review and deliver work in accordance with the project's creative direction and deadlines;
- Plan the work, and set priorities for the level design team;
- Report to the Producer/Associate Producer on the progress of work and any issues relating to the project;
- Identify risks within the schedule and suggest changes;
- Actively participate in the decision-making process with management and oversee the necessary adjustments to ensure that the level design team meets expectations;
- Act as a hiring manager to recruit highly skilled talents for their team and the studio;
- Manage the onboarding process for new starters in their team;
- Facilitate training initiatives for the team as required in liaison with the Learning & Development Manager;
- Communicate the results of any prototypes and designs to other disciplines in order to validate level design intentions and ensure they fit with the creative vision;
- Identify requirements of any designs and communicate these to the appropriate teams in order that required content is created;
- Identify any additional programming requirements, specify the requirement and test the delivered product;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
Skills and Knowledge
- A passion for games and a keen interest in gameplay creation;
- An aptitude for logical problem solving;
- Excellent communication skills and organisational abilities;
- Composure in the face of development cycle challenges;
- A passion for computer games and an interest in the structure and design of individual missions;
- Creative flair coupled with an analytical approach to problem solving;
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines;
- Enthusiasm for on-going learning and self-development.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s in game level design and production or equivalent is a must;
- Substantial working experience as a senior level designer or Lead Level Designer on at least two AAA titles;
- Extensive experience using level editing tools;
- Extensive experience using node-based visual script logic;
- Experience supervising a level design team is a significant asset.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K
Opening date: 15th September 2017
Closing date for applications: 14th October 2017
Reflections reserves the right to close this advert earlier than the closing date indicated should we feel we have received sufficient applications.